Complete vertically integrated technological chain for vertical GaN-on-GaN power electronics: from GaN substrate to Intelligent Energy Bank - EnerGaN
The main goal of the EnerGaN project is preparing for implementation all necessary elements of vertically integrated technological chain to start in Poland the production of energy efficient Intelligent Energy Banks – IEBs. The IEBs will be based on energy flow control systems with efficient, high energy density, miniaturized converters supplied with artificial intelligence allowing charge/discharge decision making in an autonomic way.
For IEB, vertical transistor technology based on gallium nitride (GaN) will be developed and implemented. Due to its outstanding figures of merits, GaN is an optimum semiconductor for high power high frequency transistors for distribution and energy transfer systems. The systems based on GaN devices will be energy saving, reliable and miniaturized in comparison to the existing Si-based solutions.
EnerGaN consortium consists of the following partners:
- Institute of High Pressure Physics of the Polish Academy of Sciences (IHPP PAS, leader)
- Łukasiewicz Research Network - Institute of Microelectronics and Photonics (IMP)
- DACPOL Ltd.
- Inwebit Ltd.
The EnerGaN consortium has all elements necessary for development of vertically integrated technology chain for relevant transistors and energy storage intelligent control systems:
- Single crystalline GaN substrates – the highest quality worldwide what is crucial for high power vertical devices – pilot production – IHPP PAS
- Epitaxial layer structures – state of art, laboratory scale, - IHPP PAS
- Semiconductor devices processing – state of the art, laboratory scale – IMP
- Systems – state of the art for Si-based electronic devices – DACPOL Ltd.
- Algorithms and software for artificial intelligence systems – Inwebit Ltd.
Some of the elements, like native GaN substrates or post-implantation high pressure processing, of transistor structures are competitive advantages in a global scale.
The project is co-financed by the National Center for Research and Development entitled "Complete vertically integrated technological chain for vertical GaN-on-GaN power electronics: from GaN substrate to Intelligent Energy Bank" under the Strategic Program for Scientific Research and Development - TECHMATSTRATEG.
Project duration: January 1, 2021 until December 31, 2023. Project number: TECHMATSTRATEG-III/0003/2019 Project value: PLN 22 746 877,60 NCBR co-financing: PLN 19 614 701,58